May was the first month that I have tried to get my blogging groove back and for the most part I think it went fairly well. I know I have a lot of work to do to get back to where I was last December and January but right now I have the time to do that and to find myself a routine that works before the twins are born. Knowing I have limited time before my world is taken over by newborns again I means I have to be a lot more strategic in both my time and the places I put my effort. But before I share May’s traffic & income report and outline my plan for June, let’s take a look back at the May’s blogging goals post where I shared my first income and traffic stats.
May Blogging Goals
I had four goals outlined for the month of May, some of them I did fairly well with and others not so much.
- Get Alexa Rank Under 1 Million. This is another work in progress, will continue to be for a little while before I can update this goal. Unfortunately right now it’s going in the wrong direction. When I wrote my May goals it was at 1,306, 805 Global and 329,891 US. On May 31st it was at 1,498,576. I’ve seen this happen to my numbers before and know that it will peak and then come back down again. I just have to keep plugging away and it will come back down eventually. As of today my Alexa rank is already back down to 1,414,130.
- Increase Page Views & Decrease Bounce Rate. This isn’t something that is going to happen overnight, and is yet another goal that will be ongoing for a while. It’s a work in progress, but I’m working on it and expect to be seeing some results soon.
- Guest Posting Guidelines. I’ve gotten outline for this put together now. It’s still a little fluid, but I’m ready to start accepting guest posts. Should I need to make adjustments in the future, I will.
- Write 4 Additional Posts. I did okay on this. I wrote, and scheduled two so half of what I wanted to do, but on the good side I did get a couple of things ready to go for the upcoming months. I also wrote several drafts with notes so it should make things easier going forward.
- Write 3 times a week. There were only two days I missed posting something so considering I haven’t been in the habit of posting regularly in quite some time, I’d say that’s pretty good.
May Traffic & Income Report
At the end of May I had 2,950 page views with a bounce rate of 80.15% not great compared to what it has been in the past, but I know I can improve this with some work.
Last month I shared with you my first ever blog income report and it’s my goal to continue to do that as a way to document my progress, to encourage myself to keep plugging along and as a way to stay accountable to myself. As I work to transition from looking at my blog as a hobby to looking at is as a business that can actually bring in an income and help my families bottom line.
It’s also my hope that I can encourage others who are only making a small amount off their blog to keep trying.
May Income: $25.20 – So far my only stream of revenue is Google AdSense. That however is something that I am working on changing.
As I’m working on preparing the blog for when life goes twin crazy in just a couple of months some of my June goals will be repeated. However, there are others that will be new this month.
- Write 8 Additional Posts. This means I need to write a total of 23 posts this month. Between the 15 regularly scheduled posts and the 8 for latter in the year I’ll be very busy. I do have a couple of series I’m planning to do so that should help give me some direction.
- Increase Page Views & Decrease Bounce Rate: This is an ongoing goal as I am aiming to get back to the 10,000 page views with the 51% bounce rate I had last winter. As I mentioned above, at the end of May I had 2.950 page views with a bounce rate of 80.15% so I obviously have some work to do. As a blogger the goal is to always push for higher and higher page views while, decreasing our bounce rate. However, aiming to get back to where I was gives me a goal to shoot for.
- Create A Newsletter Sign-up Incentive. This is something I’ve been needing/wanting to do for a long time. I currently have a small email subscription list and would like to see that begin to grow. Creating a free newsletter sign up incentive should do just that.
- Increase Pinterest Presence. I signed up for a free trial of Tailwind and have been enjoying it over the past couple of weeks. Now that I’m getting the hang of it, I’m going to be working on creating and implementing a Pinterest strategy to increase my traffic and ultimately my followers.
- Monetization. This is something I really need to work on if I’m ever going to bring in more income. Signing up for affiliate programs of products I use and trust is the first thing on my list.
- Update Old Posts & Photos. I haven’t spent much time doing this in the past but Now I’m at over 200 published posts it’s about time I get to it or I know I never will. If I can update at least two a day then I’ll be happy with that. It will take a little while to get finished but at the same time not all of my post need updated either.
- Start Scheduling Guest Posts. I have made a tentative schedule of posts for the months of August through December and have some dates set aside for guest posters. Once I have my guidelines up on the blog I’ll officially be offering guest posting spots. I have a few friends whom I plan to reach out to personally, but I have had inquires that I will be talking with further as well. If your interested in possibly guest posing here on Two Kids And A Budget then shoot me an email! I would love to hear from you.
Don’t miss out on any of my great tips to help your family
save money, have frugal fun and enjoy life!
Check out Pinterest for more frugally fantastic ideas.
Android users download the free Two Kids And A Budget App