When I was a kid, you know back in the 1980’s when dinosaurs walked the earth, playing outside was normal. We would play tag, hide-n-seek, ride our bikes, use this thing called our imagination. Today it seems that kids think going to play outside is a chore. Their world seems to revolve around watching TV, playing video games, or surfing the net.
I have however been blessed with two little boys who love to play outside. In the summer the TV is off, the windows are open, and our bare feet are in the grass. This however didn’t happen by accident, and if your kids are not that thrilled about the great outdoors keep reading for a few simple tips to get them off the couch and out of the house.
Fun Ways To Get Your Kids To Play Outside
1. Start Early. Enjoying the great outdoors begins with learning to like being outdoors from an early age. When my two sons were infants I would put them in their stroller and we would go for walks around the block. Sometimes we would take walks several times a day. Other times I would put a blanket on the grass where we would play in the afternoon sun. As the boys got a little older, they would walk beside me and those walks often turned into nature scavenger hunts.
2. Go Camping. The first time we took the boys camping was just before KC’s 2nd birthday. AJ had just turned a year old and we were on a big family adventure…in Grandma and Grandpa’s back yard. Going camping is a great way to spend a lot of time outdoors. Not only are you sleeping in tents, but you will be eating and playing outside too. You can take a family camping trip a step farther by eliminating electronics and giving everyone a job to make sure your trip runs smoothly.
3. Play In The Water. As I’ve mentioned in the past, our family loves the water. Summer vacation isn’t complete without spending at least one day at the lake, in the pool or at a water park. I love having the kids in the water because not only are they having fun and being active, but at the end of the day they will be more than ready for bed. As anyone with kids can tell you, an easy early bedtime is just awesome!
4. Play Outside Games. Do you remember how much fun you had playing hid-n-seek, dodge ball, and hopscotch? Teach your kids how much fun these outdoor games can be. Older kids may enjoy basketball, volleyball, baseball or marshmallow slingshots! Take your games up a notch by creating a tournament, and see who walks away the champ of the day!
5. Outdoor Crafts. Remember those nature scavenger hunts I mentioned above? Well, once you get home you can turn those treasures into art! DIY sidewalk chalk and bubble painting are other fun crafts you can do outdoors. You could even bring back an old classic and help your kids make their very own pet rock!
The possibilities are endless when you are encouraging your kids to play outdoors. All you need is a little imagination and the willingness to go play with them. Getting off the couch and back to nature will do your whole family a lot of good!
DON’T MISS OUT ON ANY OF MY GREAT TIPS TO
HELP YOUR FAMILY SAVE MONEY, HAVE FRUGAL FUN AND ENJOY LIFE!
Check out Pinterest for more frugally fantastic ideas.
Android users, download the Two Kids And A Budget app!